Accessible Parking

More information about parking on campus can be found at the University Transportation and Parking Services (UTAPS) Website. This page contains additional information about parking for students with disabilities.  To park in campus parking spaces, persons with disabilities must display a valid Sac State parking permit and a disabled person placard or disabled person license plate. Timed parking space restrictions, i.e. 15, 30 or 45 minute parking, still apply without a Sac State parking permit. Also, it is possible to request a parking fee waiver by filling out a parking fee waiver form (see link below).


To apply for a permanent or temporary placard:

You may be eligible for a disabled person plate and/or parking placard if you are permanently disabled. Temporary parking placards are available to individuals with temporary disabilities. These are valid for up to 6 months. A doctor's certification is required for persons whose mobility is impaired due to:

  • Cardiovascular (heart or circulatory) disease
  • Pulmonary (lung) disease
  • A diagnosed disease or disorder which significantly limits the use of lower extremities
  • Specific visual problems including low-vision or partial-sight
  • Loss, or the loss of the use of, one or both lower extremities or of both hands. A doctor's certification is not required if there is a loss of a lower extremity or both hands, if the person appears in person at the DMV office.

Permanent parking placards expire every odd-numbered year on June 30th. There is no fee to renew and a doctor's certification is not required. Owners are sent a renewal notice and may return the notice to DMV by mail.

Disabled person privileges and parking spaces are often abused. Much of the abuse results from a poor understanding of placard requirements and privileges. The only legal use of a placard is by the person it is issued to. They do not have to own or drive the vehicle to use the placard. It is illegal to:

  • Lend your placard to another person
  • Use another person's placard
  • Forge a doctor's signature
  • Provide false information to obtain a placard
  • Alter a placard or placard identification card


Students must have a current, valid DMV issued Disabled Person Placard or License Plate in order to apply for this waiver. Students will need to supply a copy of the current registration/identification card for their DMV Disabled Person Placard or License Plate with this form. Waiver forms are reviewed by Financial Aid for income eligibility requirements. Please allow 5-7 working days for your request to be processed.  Parking Fee Waiver Form (2018).

Download reader for Word (.doc) files
Download reader for PDF files

Please inform SSWD at if you encounter any problems accessing the SSWD web site.