TRIO Student Support Services Program
Services to Students with Disabilities at California State University, Sacramento has been awarded funding since 1976 under the TRIO Student Support Services Program (SSSP) for Students with Disabilities from the U.S. Department of Education. SSWD was awarded its latest five year TRIO SSS grant (for students with disabilities) for 2015-2020 in 2015.
SSSP is an integral part and a critical program component of SSWD for the retention and graduation of undergraduate students with disabilities, including students with disabilities from low income backgrounds. SSSP provides critical academic support services and instruction to program participants in the following areas:
- Provision of supplemental instruction and tutoring in English writing, math and basic academic skills to enable students to successfully complete postsecondary courses.
- Coordination of the provision of academic tutors, readers, notetakers, proctors, adaptive computers and equipment, non-cognitive skills development, computer skills training, course and test arrangements, priority registration, and specialized instructional materials, to support retention and graduation.
- Provision of individualized counseling, coaching, orientation, advising and course selection assistance, financial aid advising and assistance, financial literacy education, assistance with graduate school admission, on-campus and off-campus referrals, advocacy, faculty and staff training, and disability awareness activities to foster a supportive institutional climate for participants.
Currently enrolled students with disabilities certified by the SSWD office, who meet the TRIO SSS eligibility requirements and have a need for academic support services in order to successfully enhance their retention and graduation, should meet with a SSWD counselor to go through an in-depth needs assessment to develop an individual educational plan. To be eligible for the TRIO SSS Program for Students with Disabilities, a student must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident or meet the residency requirements for Federal student financial assistance.
- Have a documented disability: professional verification must be on file at Services to Students with Disabilities (SSWD).
- Be enrolled at Sacramento State or accepted for enrollment in the next academic term.
- Have a need for academic support, in order to pursue successfully a postsecondary educational program.
Students with disabilities (including international students) who are not eligible for the TRIO SSS program can still be assisted through Services to Students with Disabilities for their basic disability accommodation needs.
For more information about the TRIO SSS program for students with disabilities please contact the Project Director at (916) 278-6955 or (916)278-7239 (TDD).
Note: For information about the other TRIO program on campus, the TRIO McNair Scholars program, please contact Graduate Studies at (916)278-5118.
Please inform SSWD at email@example.com if you encounter any problems accessing the SSWD web site.