sac state homeadmissionsabout sac stategiving a giftsite indexcontact us


Undergraduates: Most students declare a major when they first apply for admission to Sacramento State. Students who wish to change their major must file a Change of Major form. The form is available online at

The department chairperson’s signature is required for all major changes. The following departments have their own Change of Major form: Child Development, Criminal Justice, Graphic Design, Nursing, all Engineering majors, Computer Science, and all concentrations within the College of Business. Students wishing to declare a Special Major must go to Academic Affairs located in Sacramento Hall, room 234.

Graduates: To become classified into a master’s degree program, obtain a classification form at the Office of Graduate Studies, River Front Center 206. To change to second bachelor’s degree status, file a Change of Academic Program form at the Student Services Counter.

Filing Dates

Submit Change of Academic Program form by the following date.
For registration eligibility
For late registration eligibility (with department chair’s signature)
Nursing, Interior Deisgn, or Graphic Design *
Fall 2009
March 2, 2009 August 10, 2009 December 1, 2008
Spring 2010
October 1, 2009 January 4, 2010 August 28, 2009
Fall 2010
March 1, 2010 August 9, 2010 December 1, 2009

*Nursing, Interior Design, and Graphic Design are considered “Impacted” majors. This means that in addition to being admitted to the University, new and continuing students who wish to major in Nursing, Interior Design, or Graphic Design must also meet secondary admission criteria stipulated by the department.