Welcome to the Department of Physics and Astronomy
The Department of Physics and Astronomy at Sacramento State has been preparing students for graduate school, teaching careers, and industrial employment for over sixty five years. Based in Sequoia Hall, overlooking the American River, our students interact closely with faculty members in and out of the classroom. Educators of the highest quality and excellent laboratory facilities have led Sac State Physics Alumni to graduate programs at institutions such as MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton, and Harvard not to mention wonderful careers in government, private industry, and education.
Looking for the Physics and Astronomy Colloquium Series?
In the News:
- Our ATLAS research team was showcased on the University website this winter. Stay tuned to see which students are following Haley, Caleb, and Dr. Moss to CERN this summer.
- The Summer 2016 Newsletter is up....
- We're searching for a new faculty member! Announcing a tenure-track position in Theoretical/Computational Physics for Fall of 2017!
- Alumni, Emeriti, and Friends sign up for the Sac State Physics Facebook Group.
- We are very pleased to announce the inaugural M. Hossein Partovi Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (P-SURE) award! Physics major Anthony Asuega is working with Prof. Ray to explore the feasibility of using a piezoelectric quartz crystal as a low temperature pressure sensor. This novel sensor would become a central component in Ray's low temperature laboratory. The P-SURE program was created with the support of the Partovi family and the Department of Physics and Astronomy to remember and honor the contributions made to the Department by Prof. Hossein Partovi. For information on making contributions to the program, please contact Prof. DeGraffenreid.