Skip to main content

Tuesday, Feb 7, 2012 

Information Security and Patch Management

You are likely aware of the mandates the campus faces to implement enhancements to our campus information security. In particular, we’ve gone through a long process of vetting the requirement that we provide universal patching and ‘change management’ for all IT devices attached to the university network. This is really a comprehensive set of requirements that ensure that all university IT devices are protected with the latest anti-virus protection, malware detection, and other security patches (e.g. operating system updates). We have made good progress on the baseline initiative to get patch management protection on all university computers; more than 90% of campus computer devices now have such patch management installed. We’re now working with IT groups across campus over the last few weeks to get the remaining 10% of devices covered, with most remaining devices concentrated on faculty/staff laptops and in student computer labs. We appreciate you cooperation.