The purpose of the sabbatical leave, as stated in the University Policy Manual, is to enhance professors' teaching effectiveness, enlarge their scholarly usefulness, and strengthen the academic program. It is the professor's obligation, the policy further states, to use the leave to promote professional competence.
The Professional Leave Committee (PLC) will evaluate proposals according to their likelihood of meeting these ends, and will, according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement for Unit 3 Faculty, consider questions...[of] ... quality. This will entail looking for a clear and detailed description of a particular project to be undertaken. The project should be well defined and should conform to the four criteria listed in the Academic Leaves With Pay policy (section II. B.).
The PLC will sort the proposed projects into three categories, as follows:
• Proposals judged to be among the best of the proposals submitted, based on features of unusual value or promise, will be recommended for approval regardless of equity. Unusual promise may be manifested in such features as the perceived value of the project to the discipline and to the University, its academic substance, the clarity with which it is defined and elaborated into practicable tasks, its timeliness, etc.
• Proposals which do not offer convincing evidence of a well-defined and worthwhile project will be judged to be not acceptable.
• All other proposals will be judged to be acceptable and ranked in order of accrued service.
Before applying, make sure that your proposal is complete and formatted as follows:
- A brief and explicit summary of the particular tasks that you plan to perform in the accomplishment of the objectives.
- A concise statement of objectives.
- An overview of relevant background information and a description of the project's significance to the academic field of interest.
- A brief description of the anticipated benefits of the project.
- The dates of your last sabbatical or difference-in-pay leave (if applicable).
To apply please submit:
- An electronic copy of the sabbatical leave application (Deadline: Friday, September 30, 2016 5:00 pm).
- Attach an electronic copy of your proposal.
- Attach an electronic copy of your previous sabbatical report or difference-in-pay leave report (if applicable). Must attach copy of approved report with signatures.
The University’s Academic Leaves with Pay policy requires that previous sabbatical/difference-in-pay leave award recipients have an approved report attached to their application in order to apply for a subsequent leave.
Sabbatical / Difference-in-Pay Report
Faculty who take a Sabbatical or Difference-in-Pay leave are required to submit a leave report within one semester of their return. Failure to provide an acceptable report could result in the denial of subsequent Sabbatical or DIP leaves. Please keep a copy of your report for your next leave application.
- Please download and complete the Sabbatical/DIP Report.
- Forward to your chair and college dean for signature.
- Keep a signed copy for your records.
- Submit original report to HR.
- HR will forward report to PLC for approval.
- Once approved, a final copy will be forwarded to you for your records.