On this page
Welcome CSU Sacramento Parents! Whether your son, daughter, or other family member currently attends the University, or is considering attending the University, this page is just for you.
We understand the important role families play in the lives of their students. We also understand that sending a son or daughter off to college represents both a major milestone in your lives and a significant investment in their future. As a result, we offer the following information to help you understand how to help them finance their higher education.
Financial Aid TV are videos that provide information specifically addressing questions that parents may have.
The Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan is a loan designed for you, the parent. It provides you with funds to help your student meet his or her education goal, at a fixed interest rate and reasonable repayment terms.
How much to borrow:
- You can request a Parent PLUS loan for no more than the unmet financial need.
- Total Cost of Attendance (Student Budget) minus aid offered to the student (includes, scholarships, grants and student loans) = unmet financial need.
- You should accept enough of the Parent PLUS loan offered to cover your students expenses for the students period of attendance.
How to Apply:
- Download the Parent Request for Federal Direct Parent (PLUS) Loan (pdf)
- Read the Parent borrower instructions for detailed information on how to apply.
- The application process includes a credit check.
- If the Parent PLUS loan is credit denied, you have several options on how to proceed with your Parent PLUS loan. One option is to cancel the PLUS loan, so that your student may apply for an Additional Unsubsidized Loan (loan limits are on Parent Loan Request form).
The PLUS parent borrower must have a valid Social Security Number and be either a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen (permanent resident). If you don’t qualify to apply for a Parent PLUS loan, please have your student come in and speak with a Financial Aid Counselor during our drop-in counseling hours.
How to receive to funds:
Parent PLUS loan (credit approved) refunds are mailed to the Parent (applicant) to the address listed on the Master Promissory Note.
Financial aid funds (including Parent PLUS loans) will first be applied to the students outstanding institutional charges; such as tuition fees and housing. Any remaining credit balance will be refunded to the parent.
We are here to help you, help your student. Before we can begin assisting you in the specifics of your students account, we must first have on file your student’s permission to do so. Please have your student complete the "FERPA - Student Consent Form for Parents" located in the Office of the University Registrar’s website. Submit the consent to the Student Services Counter located in Lassen Hall lobby. For more information on The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), click here.
- Encourage your student to apply for Scholarships. Visit our Scholarship website for more information on Institutional, Department and Community Scholarships.
- Review our Six Step Process all aid applicants go through in order to apply and receive financial aid.
- Encourage your student to apply for financial aid early, to submit all requested financial aid documents by the June 1 document processing priority deadline.
- Learn about what Types of Aid your student may qualify for. Most aid programs are need-based aid and require the student to have financial need for them.
- The Financial Aid Office communicates to students through their My Sac State Student Center. All financial aid holds, requested documents and access to awards are located in the students My Sac State Student Center. Download the My Sac State Navigation (pdf) for more information in helping your student navigate through these important items. Remind your student to continuously check their Student Center.
- If your student has been selected for verification by the federal processor, the Financial Aid Office must request income documentation from you and/or your student. We recommend that you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool while completing the FAFSA or you must submit copies of Federal Tax Transcripts.
- Download the IRS Data Retrieval information sheet for more information.
- If your student is living on-campus, inquire with Housing and Residential Life about their rates and plans.
- Any pending balance on their student account may result in enrollment cancellation or prevent registration for a future term. Learn about Sacramento States payment options available through Student Financial Services and about financial aid fee deferments.
- Parents experiencing a loss of income should review our loss of income requirements before discussing their situation with a Financial Aid Counselor.
- Sacramento State Parents & Families Program helps strengthen the partnership between you and your student and Sac State by promoting our campus resources and supporting student success.