Name: Ronald M. Coleman
Title: Professor, Biological Sciences
Office Location: 119 Humboldt Hall
Office Phone: (916) 278-3474 Cell: 916-705-2606
Mailing Address: Department of Biological Sciences, 6000 J Street, California State Univeristy Sacramento, Sacramento, CA 95819-6077
Office Hours: Wed 2pm-5pm or by appointment
Evolutionary Ecology of Fishes Laboratory : http://www.csus.edu/indiv/c/colemanr/
Updated : January 27, 2017
Courses that I teach:
- Undergraduate: Bio 1: Ecology, Evolution and Biodiversity; Bio 9:The Living World: Evolution, Ecology & Behavior (non-majors); Bio 100: Introduction to Scientific Analysis; Bio 162: Ichthyology; Bio 169: Animal Behavior; Bio 173: Fisheries; Bio 186: Ecological and Environmental Issues Seminar; Bio 199: Undergraduate Research
- Graduate: Bio 260: Advanced Ecology; Bio 269: Behavioural Ecology; Bio 273: Advanced Fisheries; Bio 299: Graduate Research
Evolutionary Ecology of Fishes Laboratory: http://www.csus.edu/indiv/c/colemanr/
Brumbaugh, S. and R.M. Coleman (in press) Evaluation of Bayesian Networks for Predicting Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynhus tshawtyscha) spawning Habitat Quality in Data-Poor Watersheds. North American Journal of Fisheries Management.
McClearn D., Castro E., Coleman R., Espeleta J., Garcia-Robledo C., Gilman A., Gonzalez J., Joyce A.T., Kuprewicz E., Longino J., Michel N., Rodriguez C.M., Romero A., Soto C., Vargas A., Wendt A., Whitfield S., Timm R.M. (2016) The Caribbean Lowland Evergreen Moist and Wet Forests. Chapter 15 in Costa Rican Ecosystems (Ed., Kappelle M.) University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois.
Lasko, G.R., Titus, R.G., Ferreira, J.R. and R.M. Coleman (2014) Straying of late-fall run Chinook salmon from the Coleman National Fish Hatchery into the lower American River, California. California Fish and Game 100:665-682.
Bajjaliya, F.S., Titus, R.G., Ferreira, J.R. and R.M. Coleman (2014) Morphometric variation among four distinct population segments of California steelhead trout. California Fish and Game 100:703-726.
.... older publications at http://www.csus.edu/indiv/c/colemanr/
What I do...
Committees and Activities
AITC Academic Information Technology Committee, Chair and NSM representative
ATI Steering Committee (Accessible Technology Initiative)
Canada Exchange Committee (for CSUS Study Abroad program)
Bass Fishing Club (Faculty advisor)
CFA (California Faculty Association) representative for Biological Sciences (link to the current Contract)
C.O.A.S.T. (CSU Council on Ocean Affairs, Science and Technology)
CREST (Center for Regional Environmental Science and Technology) Advisory Council
CSUS Natural History Museums
CSUS Student Research Competition (Faculty advisor)
Dinner with a Scientist
Ecology Colloquium Series Spring 2016
EEC Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Group
Expanding Your Horizons 2016
Field Biology Group (Faculty advisor)
Graduate Committee (Biological Sciences, Fall 2016 only)
IT Advisory Commitee, Faculty representative
McNair Scholars Program (Scholar mentor)
Moss Landing Marine Laboratory (Alternate CSUS representative to MLML)
Museum of Ectothermic Vertebrates (Curator)
NSM Academic Council (through spring 2018, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
Department of Biological Sciences IT (Instructional Technology) committee
OneWorld Committee (2016-2017 theme is Inheritance)
OTS REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) Summer 2010, Costa Rica
Provosts' Student Research Showcase (organizing committee member)
Sacramento State Online Natural History Museum (curator)
Student Research Center
Tree Campus USA Advisory Committee
University Experts Guide
WRPI (CSU Water Resources, Policy and Initiatives)
"The buck stops here". Feel free to contact me with issues related to the above groups and committees.
- Biological Sciences Living Gallery -- Fabulous Fishes display
- Cichlid Fry Project
- New graduate students: Colleen Moore (Fall 2016)
- Recent graduates: Beth Parvis (MS) Spring 2016; Erin Strange (MS) Spring 2016; Steve Brumbaugh (MS) Spring 2015
- Video of mouthbrooding posted on BBC Earth (October 2014)
- STEM talk by Ron Coleman, Tues Feb 21, 2012 Here is a streaming video of this talk (scroll down to "Feb 21, 2012 Underwater Treasures....")
- Made at Sac State: NSM. My segment is in the NSM in the Community: MACE and STEM portion.
- I was awarded the Outstanding University Service Award for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics 2016, the Outstanding Teacher Award for NSMathematics 2014, and the Outstanding Community Service Award for NSM in 2012.