Graduate Academic Renewal
When all policy conditions are met, Sacramento State may disregard up to two semesters of previous post-baccalaureate coursework taken at Sacramento State from all considerations associated with the requirements for a post-baccalaureate degree or credential.
These conditions are:
- The student has formally requested such action, the coursework was taken seven or more years prior, and the previous coursework would prevent graduation in the current field of study; in these cases, up to 2 semesters may be disregarded, or
- The student has formally requested such action, the coursework was taken five or more years prior, the student presented evidence that substantiates
that the work in question is substandard and not representative of her/his current scholastic ability and/or performance level, and the previous coursework would prevent graduation in the current field of study; in these cases, only one semester may be disregarded;
Final determination that one or two semesters are to be disregarded shall be based on careful review of evidence by a committee, which will include the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs; the Dean of Graduate Studies; and the Graduate Advisory Council or a sub-committee thereof, which shall include at least three faculty members.
University policy regarding academic renewal for a current Sacramento State student is not intended to permit the improvement of a student’s grade point average beyond what is required for completion of the post-baccalaureate degree or credential.
When academic renewal is approved, the student’s record shall be annotated so that it is readily evident to users of the record that NO work taken during the disregarded term(s), even if satisfactory, has been applied towards the meeting of post-baccalaureate degree/credential requirements. All previous work must remain legible on the record; it is not included in the calculation of graduation requirements.
Requirements and Procedure
- Using the Graduate Academic Renewal Petition, the student must present evidence that:
- the level of performance was due to extenuating circumstances;
- one or more additional terms of enrollment would be required to complete post-baccalaureate requirements if the request was not approved, i.e., all degree requirements would be met except the required minimum Sacramento State and overall GPA (3.000);
- for condition 1, seven years have elapsed, and for condition 2, five years have elapsed since the most recent coursework to be disregarded was completed (e.g., Fall 2006 semester will be considered after the Fall 2011 semester);
- the student has completed additional academic coursework at Sacramento State subsequent to the work to be disregarded;
- the additional academic coursework completed is evidence of satisfactory progress toward the degree, and the student has maintained a 3.0 GPA during the last three semesters (work completed at another college/university cannot be used to satisfy this requirement); and
- the petitioner is currently attending Sacramento State, has filed to graduate from Sacramento State and the graduate coordinator has determined that no additional coursework is needed.
- When the petition is approved, the student’s permanent academic record will be annotated so that it is readily evident that no work taken during the disregarded term(s), even if satisfactory, may apply toward post-baccalaureate degree requirements. However, all work must remain legible on the record ensuring a true and complete academic history.