Property Disposal

ICSUAM Policy 3150.01 delegates authority to the President to sell or exchange any University state property.

Adherence to the following procedures will facilitate accurate recordkeeping related to the disposition of state property. The combination of accurate accounting records and strong internal controls shall be in place to protect against and detect the unauthorized use of University property.

If a department has property that is not being utilized, an Equipment Turn-In Request shall be completed and with equipment listed brought to the Property Management Office. Property Management will arrange for proper re-use or disposal. Campus departments should never trade, cannibalize, or dispose of University property without approval from Property Management.

Surveyed property may be re-used or disposed of in the following ways:

Equipment in working order:

  • Offered internally first via campus auction. Recipient department will be charged any moving or storage expense.
  • Offered to all other CSU campuses. The receiving campus would be responsible for all costs of transportation.
  • Offered donation by lot to educational institutions, public agencies and non-profit organizations.
  • Offered for public sale on Public Surplus website.

Equipment not in working order:

  • If possible, cannibalized for parts.
  • Disposal to a certified, off-campus recycler by Facilities Services.
  • Disposal to a refuse disposal company by Facilities Services.

Prior to removal off-campus, all equipment must have the property tags removed or obliterated.  IRT support staffs are responsible for ensuring that all information, operating systems (hard drives and memory) and other software (including all media) have been removed (sanitized) from the equipment sent to surplus prior to any equipment being removed off campus. The campus equipment turn-in request should indicate that the hard drive and or memory has been properly removed.

Proceeds from any sales will be distributed as follows:

  1. 50% to Shipping/Receiving for administration of sale;
  2. If specialized equipment is sold, the remaining 50% should be allocated to the department that originally purchased the equipment; and,
  3. If it is classroom furniture/equipment or surplus office furniture, then the remaining 50% should be used by Space Management towards the purchase of new classroom furniture.

Cannibalization of Property

If obsolete or broken equipment is cannibalized, the department is to complete the Equipment Turn-In Request. form and send it to the Property Management. Failure to do so will result in the property not being found during the next physical inventory and reported to Public Safety as lost or stolen.

Lost, Missing, Stolen or Destroyed Property and Equipment

When a person discovers that University property or equipment has been lost or stolen, Public Safety and the Supervisor of Property Accounting are to be notified immediately. An Equipment Loss Report is to be completed and sent to the Property Management Office. The form will also serve as a survey request from the department, and the Supervisor of Property Management will generate a survey report. Attach the Equipment Loss Report to the survey documents and forward to the Property Survey Board for approval. Additionally, the Equipment Loss Report is to be used to report missing property not found during a department’s annual inventory.

Employees may be charged for any loss or damage to University property that is attributable to negligence or unauthorized use.