Direct Pay

Direct Pay Request (DPR)

What is a Direct Payment Request (DPR)?

The Direct Payment Request (DPR) is used to submit payment to a vendor without a purchase order. Payments to vendors and reimbursements to employees or individuals may be processed via the Direct Payment process when there is no "added value" to obtaining a purchase order, or if it does not fall under the CSU Policy guidelines for Contracting & Procurement.

A completed Vendor Data Record form must be on file with Procurement & Contract Services prior to submitting the DPR to Accounts Payable.

Each DPR must have an authorizing signature. The authority to approve and sign a DPR must be delegated in writing by an employee’s Program Center Administrator. All approving signatures on the DPRs will be verified for approving authority. Any DPR without a proper signature will be returned to the department. To request authority to approve and sign a DPR, please fill out the Request for CMS Financials User Access form.

Employees may not request and approve a payment for themselves. The DPR will need to be approved by another delegated person with approving authority.

The DPR process may be used for the following: 

  • Accreditation: Payments to an Accrediting body or individual, and payments for any expense associated with an individual as part of the accreditation process.  A copy of the invoice, and any associated receipts must be attached to the DPR when it is submitted. May not be used to buy office supplies for accreditation process.  
  • Books and Publications: Payment for books, magazines, publications, various testing material, recorded audio and visual tapes, CD’s and diskettes. When ordering a book, magazine or publication, submit an extra order form. One copy will be sent to the vendor with the payment.
  • Campus Community Relations: Reimbursement to an employee for hospitality expenses incurred to foster relationships between the campus and the community. Each food purchase must follow the Business Hospitality Guidelines and each DPR must have a justification for the purchase along with a list of attendees attached.
  • Event Fees: Payment to a vendor or reimbursement to an employee for the cost of a chair or table at an awards banquet or Gala. The event must be a direct benefit to the University.
  • Food, non-catered events (greater than $50.00): Payment to a vendor or reimbursement to an employee for food purchased. Each purchase must follow the Business Hospitality Guidelines and each DRP must have a justification for the purchase along with a list of attendee attached. Payment for food, non-catered events (<$50.00) may be reimbursed via the Petty Cash Reimbursement process. View the Petty Cash Reimbursement Form.
  • Game Officials: To be use by Intercollegiate Athletics only for payments to game officials, not for rental of facilities or for payments to coaches.  Request for payment in arrears of the service must have an invoice attached to the DPR.
  • Guest lecturers/Honorariums: Payments or honorariums to Guest Speakers or reimbursements of travel expenses in lieu of honorariums. Additional Honorarium Payments information.
  • Internal Use only: To be used for payments of Chancellor’s Office invoices, Utilities and University postage meter (no stamps). 
  • Interview expenses: Payment for travel expenses incurred to participate in the interview process.
  • Membership dues/Subscriptions: Payments for magazine subscriptions and membership/associations dues. When paying for a subscription or membership dues, submit 2 copies of the order form/invoice.  One copy will be sent to vendor along with the payment. Do not send an extra copy of the DPR.
  • Recruitment Costs: To be used for payments associated with costs of recruiting student athletes.
  • Student Grants/Stipends: Payment of student grants/stipends with the approval of Academic Affairs. An award letter must be attached to the DPR.
  • Uniform Allowances: To be used by UTAPS, Public Safety, and the Student Health Center for uniform reimbursements.

Which form do I use?

The Direct Payment Request form is available . Please ensure you are using the most current form Any other forms will be returned to the department where it originated.

Do I need a Vendor Data Record form?

A completed Vendor Data Record form is needed when doing business with the State of California. The University is required to have vendor tax ID information on file for all vendors before a payment can be made. For further questions about the Vendor Data Record form, please contact Procurement & Contract Services.

What is the difference between a payment and a reimbursement?

A payment is made directly to a vendor. A reimbursement is made directly to an employee, or an individual, who has already paid for the items in accordance with the Direct Pay Request policy and the Business Hospitality guidelines.

When can't I use a DPR

  • Monthly fees or other services including repairs
  • Food, non-catered events (less than $50.00) - may be reimbursed via the Petty Cash Reimbursement Process.
  • Communication devices (landlines, pagers, cell phones, DSL)
  • Postage Stamps
  • Shipping (FedEx, DHL, UPS, USPS)
  • Employee travel expenses (Parking or tickets)
  • CSUS Employees performing services - contact Human Resources
  • Office Supplies - use the Stockless Office Supply Program by Office Max
  • Printing - contact Procurement & Contract Services for requirements
  • Toner cartridges

When will my DPR be paid?

DPRs nornally take up to two weeks to be paid from the date it is received in Accounts Payable.

Your DPR may be held up for any of the following reasons:

  • There is no Vendor Data Record form on file with Procurement & Contract Services
  • The DPR is for a reimbursement that is not allowed
  • The DPR is missing receipts and/or a list of attendees
  • The DPR has incorrect information or is incomplete
  • The approval signature is missing
  • The approver is not authorized to expend funds from the department ID listed on the DPR form